CityU offers to everyone the Google Apps for Education platform. Google Apps for Education comes with up to 30GB of email storage for every user. The Offline Google Mail app for Chrome lets users read and write email without an internet connection. Drafted messages are sent next time there is an Internet connection. Get your day started on your way before you even arrive in CityU.
Gmail is designed for security and reliability with features like two-step authentication, attachment viewing in the browser, encrypted connections to Google’s servers, simultaneous replicated storage for your email, built-in disaster recovery, spam filtering and sender authentication.
Gmail works natively on popular mobile phones such as Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone and can send and receive email from any device with a web browser.
How do I change my Webmail Password?
Does deleting a label delete any messages that have that label?
No. All it does is remove the label from the messages.
Can I nest labels like I nested folders in old mail program?
Yes. For details, see Create nested labels.
Can I apply more than one label to a single email message?
Yes, you can apply any number of labels to a message: Select the message in your Inbox, or open it, and select one or more labels in the Labels drop-down list at the top of your Mail window.
How many labels can I create?
You can create about 200 labels.
There are no folders in Gmail. How do I organize my messages?
Can I attach a message or conversation to a new message?
No, you can’t embed one message into another directly. As a workaround, you can do the following:
- To attach a single message, open it and click Forward (from the drop-menu at the top of the message). To attach a conversation, open it click Forward all on the right.
- Then compose your new message and send it. The earlier message will be included below your new message.
Alternatively, you can copy the text from the earlier message and paste it into a new message.
How can I copy a file attachment from one message to another?
Because Gmail is a web-based system, you can’t drag a file attachment from one message to another. As a workaround, you can do the following:
- Open the message or conversation that contains the file attachment.
- If the file is attached to a single message, click Forward (from the drop-menu at the top of the message). If it’s attached to a message in a conversation, click Forward all on the right.
- Delete all the “forwarded” content from original messages, which appears at the bottom of your new message. Note that the file attachment remains with the forwarded message.
- Then compose your new message and send it.
Alternatively, you can download the attachment and then upload it to another message.
Can I drag and drop a file to attach it to a message?
Yes, if you’re using a Chrome browser. Otherwise, you must browse to a file to attach it.
Is there a size or type limitation for file attachments in Gmail?
Yes. To help prevent viruses, Gmail won’t accept file attachments that are executable files. There’s also a 25 MB size limitation for attachments. For details, see the Gmail Help Center.
How can I spell-check a message I write?
Click the down arrow on the bottom left of the message you’re composing and select Check spelling. Misspelled words are highlighted in yellow. Click a misspelled word to see suggested corrections.
Can I open a message in a separate window from my main Mail window?
Yes, if your browser is set to display pop-ups in a new window, you can do the following:
- If you’re reading a message, click the New Window icon in the upper-right corner of the message, or Shift-click any message in your inbox.
- If you’re composing a new message, Shift-click the Full-Screen icon in the upper-right corner of the message.
When should I delete a message vs. archiving it?
Deleting or archiving a message removes it from your inbox. If you delete a message, it’s placed in the Trash and then permanently removed from your Google Apps account after 30 days. If you archive a message, it’s moved to All Mail(your archive), where you can easily find it in the future using Google’s powerful search feature. Since you have plenty of space for storing all your mail (25 GB), we recommend that you archive messages rather than permanently deleting them.
How long do messages stay in my archive?
Messages remain in your archive forever unless you choose to delete them or unless your company limits the retention of your mail.
How long do messages stay in the Trash?
Messages remain in the Trash for 30 days. After that, Gmail permanently deletes them.
How do I reset my password?
In order to receive a new password for your CityU E-mail, you wil have to send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a new password for your CityU E-mail.
How do I prevent messages from specific senders from being tagged as spam?
If messages from a sender outside your domain are being incorrectly tagged as spam, you can prevent this from happening by creating an email filter using the Never send it to Spam option:
- In Gmail, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of your Mail window. Then click Settings > Filters > Create a new filter.
- Enter the person’s address in the From field, and then click Create filter with this search.
- Select Never send it to spam, and then click Create Filter.
How long do messages remain in my Spam folder?
Messages remain in the Spam folder for 30 days. After that, Gmail permanently deletes them.
Can I share my email with another employee?
Shared mailboxes aren’t supported. However, you can easily set up an email filter (rule) to forward specific types of messages to another employee.
Does Gmail have an Out of Office feature?
Yes, in Gmail, you can set up your “vacation responder,” which is similar to the Out of Office feature in Outlook or Lotus Notes. For details, see the Gmail Help Center.
Should I delete or archive messages in my Sent folder?
There’s no need to delete or archive messages in the Sent folder. Messages remain in this folder forever, unless you delete them. But because you have 25 GB of storage space, you can keep messages in this folder to refer to them later if needed. Also, note that messages in the Sent folder are actually archived in All Mail, so even if you archive these messages, they stay in the Sent folder.
Why does a message I archived or deleted show up again in my Inbox?
If someone replies to a message you archived or trashed, that message reappears in your Inbox as a conversation, bringing with it the message you archived or deleted. If the message has already been permanently deleted from the Trash, you’ll see an option at the bottom of the message to view the deleted messages in the conversation.
How do I move a message out of the Trash?
Find the message in the Trash and select it. Then, in the Move to drop-down list at the top of the Mail window, select Inbox.
Can I delete a messages from a conversation?
Yes, you can delete one or more messages in a conversation as follows:
- Open the conversation and expand the message you want to delete.
- Open the drop-menu at the top-right of the message.
- Select Delete this message.
Can I reply to or forward just a single message in a conversation?
Yes. Open the conversation and expand the individual message. From the drop-menu at the top-right of the message, click Reply or Forward.
Can I make Gmail the default email program when I click email links?
Yes. To make Gmail the default email program when you click email links in Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings > Show advanced settings.
- In the “Privacy” section, click Content settings.
- In the dialogue that appears, find the “Handlers section and select Allow sites to ask to become default handlers for protocols.
- Open Gmail in Chrome.
- Click the protocol handler icon in the address bar next to the star bookmarks icon.
- Select Use (your organization) Mail and click Done.
You can also make Gmail your default email program in other browsers.
I’ve heard Gmail search is really powerful. How does it work?
To search for messages, type a word that the messages contain. Note, however, that Search matches “whole words” only—that is, it doesn’t recognize partial or similar matches. For example, if you search for benefits, Search won’t findbenefit or benef. Also, Search doesn’t recognize special search characters, such as square brackets, parentheses, currency symbols, ampersands, pound signs, and asterisks.
By default, Search doesn’t look in your Trash or Spam folders. To search those folders also, click the down arrow on the right side of the search bar and, in the Search drop-down list, select Mail & Spam & Trash. Learn more about search at using keyword search to sort messages. Also print out this reference sheet of advanced search operators.
How do I mark a message as “unread” in my Inbox after I open it?
Select the message. Then, in the More drop-down list, select Mark as unread.
Can I stop messages from being grouped into conversations?
Yes. Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of your mail window and click Settings. On the General tab, scroll down to Conversation View.
- If Conversation View is off, new messages won’t be grouped into conversations, and any existing conversations are ungrouped into separate messages.
- If Conversation View is on, you can’t separate the messages in a conversation. However, if you want to send a reply but don’t want it to be added to the conversation, you can simply change the subject line in your reply.
Can I access my mail offline?
Yes, you can set up Gmail for offline access to your most recent email messages. To enable this feature, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of your Mail window. Then click Settings, open the Offline tab, and click Install Gmail Offline.
How much space do I have for mail messages? Can I run out of space?
Your account has 30 GB of storage. You’ll probably never run out of space. In fact, a heavy email user who sends and receives lots of file attachments and archives all messages might use up to 5% of this space a year (usually less), so it would take decades to use up all of the available space. Also note that Google Apps restricts the size of file attachments to 25 MB, so you don’t have to worry about a few large files using up your storage space.
Does Gmail have keyboard shortcuts?
Yes, Gmail includes a full set of keyboard shortcuts. First, you must enable keyboard shortcuts:
- In the upper-right corner of the Mail window, click the gear icon and select Settings.
- Under Keyboard shortcuts, select Keyboard shortcuts on.
- Click Save Settings.
Then, to see the shortcuts, press Shift+? while viewing your list of messages in the main Mail window. You can also print out this reference sheet of advanced search operators.